Cobra claims the new Vedetta series will be the Standard in Radar/Laser Detection and will have a 30 percent increase in performance over Cobra's current flagship models. The Vedetta line will include a 2.4-inch TFT color LCD display on a multi-axis hinge and a ball-socket suction cup mounting bracket, which will allow the driver to mount the detector virtually anywhere on the windshield or dash of their automobile. The display can be rotated 270 degrees vertically and 60 degrees horizontally.
In addition to setting a new benchmark among detection systems for form factor and driver ergonomics, Cobra offers an integrated GPS receiver and free, lifetime access to its AURA(TM) national database of speed/red-light cameras and known speed trap locations.
Features listed for the new product line include:
- Maximum range and selectivity for advance warnings on all radar and laser guns currently utilized in the U.S.
- Integrated GPS Receiver and AURA Speed/Red-Light Camera and Known Speed Traps database alerts the driver well in advance of location-based threats with coverage throughout the U.S. and Canada
- Industry's first detection system with 2.4-inch full-color, high-def display with intuitive graphical user interface
- Backlit touch-sensor controls for easy configuration/customization while eliminating display smudging
- Industry's first detection system that allows mounting virtually anywhere on the car's windshield or dash for increased performance and visibility
- Industry's first detector with multi-axis hinge display
- IntelliMute(TM) speed-sensitive muting system virtually eliminates false alerts and automatically mutes unwanted alerts below user-set engine RPM level
- Voice Alert Provides band-specific annunciation of the radar/laser gun being detected
- SmartPower Automatically shuts power to the unit when the ignition is turned off
- POP Mode Radar Gun Detection to Detect ultra-fast, Instant-On radar guns
- Signal Strength Meter to Provide range proximity of the radar guns detected
- 8-Point GPS Compass provides vehicle-heading information (available on SLR 600 and SLR 650G)
- User-selectable Speed Alert to Alert the driver when the vehicle exceeds user-set speed limit
- User-marked locations can be stored in unit's memory (up to 1,000 locations)
- New IntelliShield(TM) -- Quad-level False Signal Rejection System reduces false alerts in densely populated urban areas
The new Cobra Vedetta series is expected to be available nationwide in Q2 with pricing from $199.95 to $299.95. My guess it that we will see this in late Q2 so it can be a few months before we finally get our hands on one to test the manufactures claims. If there really is a 30% increase over the current top of the line Cobra models it could push Cobra into a higher performance bracket and possibly top Whistler on our Best Radar Detector 2012 list in the under $200 category.